Administration: Theoretical And Practical Frame Work
This paper shall explain the core-task theory and the application of it in understanding the comparative public administration of Britain and France.
The concept of core task refers to the task essence of an organization. This definition carries with the tautological assumption that any organization whether public or private, exit to serve a purpose.
According to Okoli (2009) Core task therefore compasses a broad spectrum of objective, functions administrative methods and procedure as well as the structure and pattern of country and co-ordination. Which defines and informs any organization? All these activities are in turn a function of the prevailing defectors national Ideology. In other words the Core-task of any organization at any point in time is what controlling authority (regime in power) defines it to be.
Application of the theory organization whether private or public exist to serve a purpose this is particularly so among the Britain and France, public administration. Application of the submission of the core task theory offers an explanatory windows or frame work of analysis and indeed description of comparative public administration of these countries under study.
The theory was fortified with following variables which has the capability of strengthen this work.
The regime in power
The objective (Core-Task the structure configuration. The first variable which emphasis on the regime in power is vital aspect in understand in that for France or Britain to achieve the main objective which in the administration of those country owns much from understanding the interest of the regime in power which must reflect the economic and socio-cultural and political environment.
This variable aptly implies that the use of rule of law in Britain help in activity and administrative law of France their national interest: this is because a situation where by everybody will be equal before the law made it possible for everybody to act accordingly.
The second variable of the theory is the objective (core-task).
This is another fundamental commission of the theory that makes it relevant and suitable in this work the theory assent the relevance of stated objective or the core task of theirs countries and the core task of these country under study is efficiency and this could be gotten through institutions of the counting when it is function at through efficiency manpower of their system.
Also the third variable is structure confutations Akorit (2009; 28) postulated that effective and efficient organizational performance can be measured in terms congruence between core task and structure. And manifestations of structure include
- Anthity relationship
- Personnel and
- The variable emphasis the need for establishing the structures that will aid to the complaining the core-task of the country. Taking for the principle of their variable the structures configured are used by France and Britain in achieving their national interest is parliamentary/cabinet system and ministry system respectively. These system or structure help in strengthen rule of law and administrative law which is fundamental principle for achieving government core-task across all the sectors of the of the counties.
The main point of similarity and dissimilarity between public administrative systems of Britain France.
- Both England and France have their own administrative systems. In both countries administration plays an important role in formulation and execution of polices and thus are active participants in law making process as well as in the implementation of laws.
- In both countries civil servants are depositories of knowledge and store that and provide information to political bosses on the basis of that knowledge.
- Both countries administration provides continuity and does not allow the work get disrupted when the countries faced with political upheaval.
- In both countries, there is a set of recruitment procedure or the basis of which candidates are recruited and in recruitment maximum stress is laid on merit of the candidates.
- Both in France and Britain, civil servants enjoy Job security and they give not only salaries and other benefits but also opportunities to grow. They are also promoted as per the rules.
- Both in England and France, civil servants who run the administration consider themselves a separate class.
- All civil servants in both Britain and France do not belong to the same category there are higher, middle and lower level civil servants.
In both countries administration is required to work under unitary system.