ECONOMIC GEOLOGY: This is a branch of geology concerned with earth materials that can be used for economic and industrial purposes. During mapping of Iva valley I found the following rock materials sandstone, shale, coal and clay. And these rocks are used for several purposes as stated below.
Uses of Coal
Coal is used primarily as an energy source either for heat or electricity, it was once heavily used to heat home and power locations and factories. Coal gasification and coal liquefaction are also possible uses of coal for producing synthetic fuel. Approximately 4% of the coal mined in the United States is exported and most of the exported coal is used for making steel.
Other users of coal include alumina refineries, paper manufactures, the chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Several chemical products can be produced from the by-products of coal.
Refined coal tar is used in the manufacturing of chemicals such as creosote oil, naphthalene, phenol and benzene or ammonia gas recovered from coke ovens is used to manufacture ammonia salts, nitric acid and agricultured fertilizer. Thousands of different products have coal or coal by-products as components; soap, aspirins, solvents, dyes, plastics and fibres, such as rayon and nylor.
- Perfume:- As you may expect, some of the most common natural ingredient in perfume making include flowers, spices, grasses and fruits, all of which smell nice. However, apart from these balsams substances like petrochemical, alcohol coal tars and coal are also use in perfume production. Used as fixtures, they enable perfume to evaporate slowly and emit odour longer. There’s not just one chemical or item used to create the great scent, but rather it lakes a village to build an eau de toilette.
- Lice Shampoo:- Hopefully, you have never had the burden of dealing with lice, but if you have, you have probably used coal to help get rid of those. Most effective lice shampoo contains coal tar (Carbornized coal-turning coal into coke). Coal tar is a common remedy for many skin conditions, but it can prevent and kill lice when used in high concentration.
- Fertilizer:- In process called gasification, the carbon dioxide and hydrogen in coal is converted to produce area and ammonia for fertilizer. In this process, coal is fed into chemical reactor, where extreme heat and pressure break the chemical bonds n the coal, creating a synthetic gas. The hydrogen portion of this gas is then combined with nitrogen to create anhydrous ammonia, which can be put directly on a fluid or reformulated to create other types of fertilities.
- Steel:- Coal is one of the main ingredient in one of the strongest and most important building materials in the world steel. Through a process called coking, Coal is converted into carbonized coal or coke, from there, the coke is mixed with limestone and fed into a furmace with iron ore. The coke burns and the limestone mixes with the one creating a grey material called stag. The iron is then re-melted and finally refined into the steel used in buildings.
- Golf Balls:- Whether you are tiger roads or just an average joe on the links, the ball you are likely coning has a little bit of coal in it. Must lice tennis rackets golf balls utilize coal ash, which is a by-product of coal combustion, as a low-cost filler. So next time you are on the back nine, just remember the coal helped get you there.
- Hair Rye:- If you don’t like the colour of your hair and you want to change it, then just used coal.