Effects of Religious Conflicts : Religion per say suppose to be a source of joy, peace, brotherhood and moral training, as it is rare to find any religion that does not profess and preach love, peace and tolerance as the major ingredients of its doctrine. But observes that the story is quite different with Nigeria as religion generates violence, rancor and bitterness.
Religious Conflicts and how to about it
Religion is as old mankind. It emanated from man’s unending search for the interpretation to the mysteries of the world.
- The crises lead to loss of lives and properties: Any time there is serious religious crises, many lives and properties are lost, ranging from individual properties, groups to government properties. The people that are killed are contributors and potential contributors to national development. On the other hand, the constant destruction of properties worth millions of Naira is never helpful at all, as the individuals, groups and government use the money (wealth) and energy that would have been used for further development to replace the damaged ones.
- They (the crises) have subjected most of the citizens of Nigeria, especially the Christians residing in the North (Moslem states) to perpetual fear as they are faced with uncertainties of life. Resultantly, many Christians over there were forced back home or to other religious crises free states, abandoning their jobs and trades.
- The religious conflicts bring about political tension and government instability: As Nigerian politicians blend religion with politics, each religious crisis poses great threat to the fragile unity of the country. Moreover, it has been discovered that many of the political assassinations, overthrow of government through coup d’etat, kangaroo impeachment and election malpractices have strong religious undertone.
- They cause untold hardship to the victims: Many multi-millionaires have become beggars overnight because of the so-called religious crises. It is very sad to note that in every religious crisis, one of the targets of the notorious religious fundamentalists is the people’s properties (houses, businesses, etc.). some of the victims die out of hopeless condition and frustration.
Moreover, whenever there is any religious crisis, there is no meaningful business that can take place in the crisis area throughout the period of the bigotry. This is not helpful at all geared the sustainable economic development of the country.
- They make our nation to lose her integrity and status in the international community. A country characterized by religious conflicts is automatically proving to the world that she is not matured. Consequently, she loses her respect before other countries of the world. This is the case with Nigeria.
- The crises retard economic progress in the country, as both local and foreign investors are scared. They have fears, because their business fate cannot be determined in the environment of religious conflicts.