FERTILIZER PRODUCTION QUALITY CONTROL MEASURE
Quality control simply means to maintain a common standard of quality of products. The company adopted a quality control to maintains the quality standard of the product. They include:
- Material Source: The materials used in the company such as urea, muriate of potash, diamminonium phosphate and limestone are gotten from nationally accredited dealers.
- Laboratory Test: A random test is being carried out in order to know the best quality of materials. The company carryout their Laboratory Test at the University of Nigeria Nsukka Chemistry Laboratory.
- Formulation and Calculation: There is a standard formular used to calculate the quality and quantity of the products to avoid bias.
- Product Inspection: During production, inspection takes place to makes sure there is normal blending and easy flow of materials from the hoppers.
- Packaging: When packaging the finished product, there in a cellophane bag inside the sack which is used to protect the products from atmospheric moisture which can denature the product.
- Storage: The products are stored in a conducive ware house that is cool and dry using pellets which separates the products from the ground.
FORMULATION AND CALCULATION OF NITROGEN PHOSPHATE-POTASH FERTILIZERS
Calculating and formulation of NKP fertilizer helps in producing a certain quality and quantity of products. Various steps are followed in order to formulate and calculate NKP which includes:-
- Selection of materials, noting their name and guarantees.
- Check material analyses, makes sure that the material guarantees used in the formular match the guarantees of the material in the bin.
- Specify the grade and perform the calculation
Formulation of NPK 20:10:10
- Urea NPK (46:0:6)
- Muriate of potash NPK (0:0:60)
- Diammonium phosphate NPK (18:46:0)
- Limestone NPK (0:0:0)
A weight of 1000kg is used as the basis. Mass of nutrient required nutrient guarantee.
|Nutrient||% required||Mass needed|
|Nitrogen||20||1000 x 0.2 = 200kg|
|Phosphate||10||1000 x 0.1 = 100kg|
|Potash||10||1000 x 0.1 = 100kg|
Determine the mass of each material required to supply these amounts.
- Diammonium phosphate = NPK (18:46:0) remember that DAP contain 18% of nitrogen 0.18 x 217kg = 39kg
- Urea NPK (46:0:0)
- Muriate of potash (0:0:60) =
Determiner of filler (limestone) is required 217kg DAP + 167kg MOP + 350kg urea = 734kg. This implies that formular weight which is 1000kg minues 734kg ie = 1000kg -734kg = 266kg. Therefore quality of filler needed = 266kg.
Materials Weight (kg)
Urea (46:0:0) 350
DAP (18:46:0) 217
MOP (0:0:60) 167
Limestone (0:0:6) 266