Some features of French public administration.
In French for a very long time they had been political instability one reason for this according to Mukhi (2008:211) was multiple political party system, which still prevails in the country. In addition, the country has been experimenting from Manakchy to republic and vice varsa and today the country has had so many republic. The whole administrative system has been called by Ferrel Heady as classical administrative system. It has some peculiar feature of its own, these feature are as fellows as out line by Mukhi (2008: 211).
- Peculiar Political Culture: In France administrative system has developed under a peculiar political culture and it continued to be so. One peculiar feature of this culture according to him is that the country for about two centuries did not see political stability political system has been rapidly changing.
- Influence of education in administration since. In France, administration education and other social factors have very much helped in the development of political system.
- Love for tradition in administration since. In France there has for long been political instability, there five administrative system in a whole has love for traditions and no far reaching changes have come in the system as inherited from the past.
- Supremacy of State: France,public servants believed in supremacy of the state that is the state decides administration remains under the state control.
- Centralized Administrative System: In France, administrative system is highly centralized, they are so conservative and has much influence by their past traditions.
- Administrative structure were there organs namely. Ministers, the pretest and the Government.
- Missionary zeal: France administration begins with the missionary zeal, public servant try to avoid political intervention in their work.
- The system of Administration law. In France, there is system of administrative law which deals with offences committed by public servant in their official capacity.
- Recruitment and training: Civil servants in France have remained above political upheavals. Educational system is linked with recruitment; each civil servant is provided training after recruitment for three years in National school of administration.
- Right to form trade unions: In France they have right to form trade unions which they got after long struggle.
- French administration functions under two types of controls namely: External and Internal. The formal is exercised by legislature and Judiciary and later by specified units.
- Civil servant enjoys scrutiny of services and their tenure is almost life long. There are tribunals which deal with taking disciplinary actions against public servant.
- In France great stress in laid on the selection of suitable candidate for public services.
- Participation in political activities civil servant in France and permitted to participate in political activities.
- The Government enterprises: The third unit of administrative structure in France is the government enterprises and each public enterprise has its own management system, which has some political ideology impact.