Drug abuse at any age can cause serious health effects, but teens who abuse drugs are at particular risk for negative consequences. Adolescents who abuse drugs are more likely to struggle with addiction later in life and have permanent and irreversible brain damage.
More Details About Drug abuse
Some other negative effects of teen drug abuse are:-
- Emotional problems:- Drug abuse can cause or mask emotional problems such as anxiety, depression, mood swings, suicidal thoughts, and schizophrenia. In fact, among adolescents with major depression, 34.6% report using drugs (Casapalmera, 2009) Unfortunately, drug use can also increase the severity of these emotional problems. For example teens that use marijuana weekly double their risk of depression and anxiety.
- Behavioural problems:- Adolescents who have drugs have an increase risk of social problems, depression, suicidal thoughts and violence. According to a recent survey by the substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2009. Adolescents who do not abuse drugs do engage in delinquent behaviours such as fighting and stealing.
- Addiction and dependence: Studies prove that the younger people are when they begin using drugs, the more likely they are to develop a substance abuse problem and relapse later in life(Casapalmera, 2009)
- Risky Sex:- Adolescents that use drugs are five times more likely to have sex than teens who do not use drugs. Adolescents that use drugs are more likely to have unprotected sex with a stranger. This leads to higher risks of Sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy and sexual assault Kabiowu, 2006.
- Learning Problems:- Drug abuse damages short term and long-term memory and can lead to problems with learning and memory later in life.
- Diseases:- Adolescents who abuse drugs with needles increase their risk of blood-borne diseases like HIV/AIDS, and Hepatitis B and C.
- Brain damage:- Drug abuse among adolescents can result in serious mental disorders or permanent, irreversible damage to the brain or nervous system. Brain damage among adolescents who abuse drugs includes:
* Brain shrinkage
* Impaired reasoning
* Impaired perception and intuition
* Impaired learning abilities
* Amnesia and memory problems
* Increased and decreases socialization
* Changes in sexual desire
- Accidents e.g. Road traffic accident:- Adolescents who abuse drugs are more likely to be involved in car accident-related injuries or death. One study showed that 4 to 14% of drivers who are injures or die in traffic accidents tests. Positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), Casapalmera, 2009.
- Academics:- Declining grades, absenteeism from school and other activities and increased potential for dropping out of school are problems associated with adolescent substance abuse. Hawkins etal, 2002 cite research indicating that a low level of commitment to education and higher truancy rates appear to be related to drug abuse among adolescents.
- Families: In addition to personal adversities, the abuse of drug by adolescents may result to family crisis and jeopardize many aspects of family life. Victims of drug abuse bring shame to their parents and thereby putting the lives of their parents in big trouble e.g. raised blood pressure, which results from over worry and thinking. Substance abuse can also drain a family’s financial and emotional resources. The siblings are also affected because most times, they join the victim in abusing some drugs, thereby leaving the family in a big crisis.
- Social and Economic Consequences: The various consequences of drug abuse are so devastating and very shameful to the extent that both the national and internationals all over the world are also worried about the spread of this scourge among the Nigeria adolescents. They are as follow:
Social violence among adolescents, Mental disorders, 419 syndrome, Armed robbery, Social miscreatnts (Area boys and girls). Lawlessness among youth, lack of respect for elders. Kidnapping, Bokoharam, all are as a result of drug abuse. They are so many other social crises drug abuse brings to our society and these usually lead to financial losses and distress. So many lives have been wasted and also so many lives are still at risk as a result of drug abuse. For instance, the Bokoharam has claimd so many lives.